Nouveau UC2016 Playing Cards
Tribute to the philosophical and artistic trend Art nouveau, depicting the original heroes and heroines inspired by 16th century French decks.
Custom deck of playing cards (poker size) designed by Karin Yan and funded on Kickstarter between September and October 2015. Chosen as the Official United Cardists 2016 Annual Deck.
Nouveau UC2016 Playing Cards is inspired by the historical and mythological heroes and heroines traditionally featured in the French playing cards since the 16th century. The art style and design pay tribute to the philosophical and artistic trend Art nouveau, promoted and popularized in France in the late 19th century. Art Nouveau is a style of decorative art, architecture and design characterized by intricate linear designs and flowing curves based on natural forms.
As for the jokers, they represent Pierrot and Harlequin (both stock characters in the Italian Comedia dell’arte) popularized in Paris in the late 19th century.
- The biblical figure King David as King of Spades
- The Greek goddess Pallas Athena as Queen of Spades
- The legendary character Ogier the Dane as Jack of Spades
- The King Charlemagne as King of Hearts
- The biblical figure Judith as Queen of Hearts
- The French military commander Étienne de Vignolles (aka La Hire) as Jack of Hearts
- The Greek King Alexander the Great as King of Clubs
- Eleanor of Aquitaine as Queen of Clubs
- The legendary Knight Sir Lancelot as Jack of Clubs
- Roman leader Julius Caesar as King of Diamonds
- The biblical figure Rachel as Queen of Diamonds
- The Greek mythological hero and prince Hector as Jack of Diamonds
- Pierrot & Harlequin as Jokers